Tuesday, 18 November 2014

A photographer or A Cameraman??






"This is a share from my feelings when I was a teenager"
A photographer or A Cameraman?? 






What am I? 
With an utmost admiration and worshiping of the wildlife entertainment channels and wildlife enthusiasts in Discovery Channel, NGC, Animal planet and alike, I always dreamt myself in Man vs. Wild eating all that Bear Grylls found in the wilderness. I dreamt about the beast in myself. Though people thought I am an out-lander I had, may be still have, least interest in others preaching. In the path of my dream passion as a youngster it was not uncommon for me to adopt some technical jargon used in the profession of photography, wildlife and nature adventure. Flaunting those words in the field or in the social media was kind of holy routine for me. And soon it became the language i communicate with and not just a jargon. People did recognize the language being not understandable and asked for opinions about gadgets to buy, places to visit, etc..   


With this high end thoughts what got to my nerves as I was growing up with my DSLR is that people using the terminology "Photographer and Cameraman"interchangeably. Though it almost means the same thing for common man the dictionary gives different meaning.



Photographer - "a person who takes photographs, especially as a job". It May be for passion for profession or just like that. I would say it is more like non-technically driven and though there are some exceptions. It would also include video documentaries. 








Cameraman -  "a person whose profession is operating a video, television, or film camera". This for me looks more technical job where it is a routine thing. No offence meant but it is just my view. 




So I am a Photographer and I have a Camera. There is a difference. :-) That was consistent defense when somebody called me a cameraman. Though now it doesn't make much difference for me it was just a thought which i wanted to share. 

Some of the other situation where you get annoyed is sometimes the most funniest. Me starting to be a wildlife photographer I had people talk about or to me as 

1. A marriage photographer - oh this guy will cover our marriage. So 2 lakhs saved :-) 
2. Casual photographer - He has camera so we don't have to take one. 
3. Studio photographer - I have to get married. I need photos to give. I have to contact him. 
4. Big shot photographer - He has contacts. For this weekend lets ask him for place recommendation and facility too. 
5. Family photographer - oh her husband is a photographer so she would have no problem in being a model. 

NO. I am just a photographer with an interest to click pictures my way and I have a camera. There is a difference. 

These kind of people are very funny though very few but some are pretty serious about my career. Specially my mom. She says I am a Camera collector and I don't use camera. If I ask her why she says so then she has a very bitter statement "What do you mean why? I only see others photographs in paper and magazines. I am sure you are not taking photos" :-/    


What ever others think what is important for you is what you want. It is important for us to know what others think about us which may probably keep us entertained and challenging every step that we take in so called non professional career. To be a photographer you don't just need a camera (probably you may not need one at all) but a lot of other things like the urge for photography, to be a little bit crazy and to be let your eyes see what your subject wants you to see subconsciously. In addition to that you need a platform, audience, and presenting with an extended interpretation. 

And finally, chill when somebody calls you a cameraman. Offer them your skills. Surprise them with the way they look in your eyes :-). But make your audience proud of what they are following. 


Prasanna Hegde
prasannahegde.com

1 comment:

  1. Whenever people see camera in others hand or lying around neck , they tend to consider the person as a cameraman , photographer , they see their requirement in him and talk accordingly . But only a person who has seen ur pics can variably differentiate between a cameraman and a person who sees beyond distance

    ReplyDelete