Wednesday, 19 November 2014

A nightmare of every photographer - Part I

Location: At the neck of India - Chitkul, Himachal Pradesh
Date: December, 2012

It has been the most difficult time for myself losing the most valuable photographs of my life (carelessness of not saving the photographs in the hard disk or online platform) due to which probably I would not get a chance to relive those photographic moments again. It was the peak of winter season at the neck of India. My stay at summer capital of India was, to that point, wonderful with snowfall and adventures in the Himalayan region. On my most trips I was a lone ranger. And I wanted to get to a new level of solo adventure for myself, but expected least that "most valuable will just be memory only in my mind". 

As I am writing this blog I feel I have forgotten so much. However, I am going to narrate as much as I can with some pictures which are uploaded at lowest resolution on facebook. 

Snow fall in Shimla

From: Shimla, Himachal Pradesh To: Reckong Peo, Himachal Pradesh
Google maps - Shimla to Reckong Peo
December 24, 2012 first day: I was set to leave to Reckong Peo, Himachal Pradesh from Shimla. Snow fall had just begun and it was my life's first experience. I usually preferred over night travel as the day is saved for my exploration but the bus service to Reckong Peo was scheduled to begin only by 4am. It was a 5-6 hours journey in the midst of valley through some of the historic and pre-independence sites to visit in HP. With my rucksack and my newly bought snow white shoes for snow hiking I was power packed for the next 2 days. It was rough terrain throughout as I approached Reckong Peo (RP) and then I saw some of the snow caped mountains up north. Though I was to go east towards Tibet boarder I was just excited from the site of snow. I didn't wanted to have much expectations as it was a new place of visit. What ever it had to offer me would make me as thrilled as any other. I reached RP with a delay of an hour and it was bone chilling cold already in the middle of the day. That was the last stop from where I was suppose to take another shuttle bus to Chitkul which was my final destination.
Reckong Peo bus station 
From: Reckong Peo, Himachal Pradesh To: Chitkul, Himachal Pradesh
Google Map - RP to Chitkul 

I inquired at the bus stand and to my bad luck one bus had already left to Chitkul and next bus is only after 2 hours. I decided to refresh and recharge myself with some food and drinks. I packed some snacks and took a power nap in the clock room. There were people talking to me about who and why I am where I am but I was happy they were accommodating me quite well with their hospitality. I took some tips from them and packed more stuff :-) I thought public transport is the affordable options compared to the shop owners suggestions to me about hiring a taxi. 

Reckong Peo
Before I go ahead to Chitkul a little bit about RP. Its a small town mostly seemed to be Buddhist population with beautiful arts and colourful flags around. Its the district HQ of Kinnaur a place for apples. RP is located at 7,513ft above MSL. It is connected to Shimla and Sangla valley by road only. There is a pilgrimage site called Kinner Kailash for which pilgrims leave from here or come around the hills of Spiti. Some say the red mountain is visible at the time of sunrise from RP. I could not get to see much of RP as my plan was much ahead of that. 


Finally, I got the last bus to Chitkul which was around 25-30 Km towards south east of RP and at the eastern neck of India. Though it started with easy way as we crossed the river Baspa and entered the mountain range off the highway it was an action thriller with pot holes, steep curves, valley on one side and high mountains on the other. Sadly I don't have many of those on the go photos to share. There were villages in the valley. Bus had to go down the valley to drop some passengers and climb all the way up in the same route to get back on the way to Chitkul.  
Way to an off main road village in the Sangla Valley      
It was roughly close to a 2 hours journey and as I reached Chitkul it was 5pm. I hardly had time to spend for the day but I wanted to go around the places. It was indeed a surprise and it made me real happy. It was off season and there were no tourists at all. As I got down the bus fist feel of snow was to my shoes before even I looked around. 

First feel of the snow - by my snow white
The water on the road had frozen like how I saw while on the way in bus but didn't expect to land on it. An all that followed..... :-)  


RIP snow white. I lost it on the new year eve. Some guests at our PG stole it... :-( I still miss it.  


I will continue the rest of the incredible adventure and details about Chitkul in my next post (A nightmare of every photographer!! - Part II). 

Prasanna Hegde

4 comments:

  1. i had many bad lucks but later on it turned out to be most memorable events of my life ....... one particular event that is going to stay with me forever i think ..... it happened during Maha Kumbha mela .... i was lost in Kumbha mela for almost 6 hrs (3am to 9am) in below 8 degree temperature and in less visibility..... and in freezing temperature i walked almost 40 kms in sand in search of one land mark so that i can find the way out .... i went to see procession but by the time it started i was so exhausted ... i slept in one of the tent till evening :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Pavan - That must have been a great experience...I am sure most of us would have experienced the lost, then found in the childhood which terrifying. But now I we are lost we are sure to enjoy them. Thanks for your read and comment. Keep reading. Appreciate your effort.

      Delete
  2. Going on an off season trip is one of the best things to do , not because its out of the way but it will give u solitude and peace of mind . Ample time and places to visit all alone is one heck of an experience . I saw the snow falling for the first time in awantipora , kashmir valley . I tell u its like heaven falling at ur feet . I can feel ur experience and journey .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Sjt That is so true. Everybody looks for the season to go... but I realized that opt for the one which is opted out...:-) Thank you for your reading and comment. Truly appreciate it. I hope you read the next parts of the post. Take care.

      Delete